Fall is my favourite season hands down. I just love all the colours, smells and the fresh crispness in the air. I also love that I have a whole new material to use in activities that is plentiful and free – leaves!
This letter recognition activity is made for Fall when the leaves have changed colours and have freshly fallen.
So take a nature walk with a basket and gather some leaves with your toddler or preschooler in preparation for this activity.
Preparing the Letters
This next job is for you. Take a sharpie and write the letters of the alphabet you want to work on. I wanted to work on upper and lower case letter matching for all the letters so I wrote each letter of the alphabet on 26 leaves in upper case. This took about 5 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Two Ways to Play
There are two ways to do this activity:
1. You can do it on a baking sheet and match the leaf letters with their magnetic letter pair directly on the baking sheet. That way you don’t have to contend with gravity!
2. The other way to do this activity is directly on your fridge. This can be a little trickier so let me go through some tips to help make it easier.
Troubleshooting for Leaf Matching on the Fridge
Matching your leaf letters with the magnetic letters on the fridge can be tricky because some magnetic letters may not want to hold their leaf pair up! So here are some helpful tips to make this activity work better for you.
1. Use leaves that aren’t too dry. The drier the leaf the harder it will be for the magnetic letter to keep it up. Freshly fallen leaves work best.
2. Place the magnetic letter at the top of the leaf, holding it up rather than in the center.
3. Give each magnetic letter and leaf pair a little press so they stay.
WILL YOU TRY MAGNETIC LETTER LEAF MATCH WITH YOUR TODDLER OR PRESCHOOLER? SHARE IT WITH OTHERS?
Purchase your supplies now on Amazon.com.