Rainbow Rice! Is there anything better! If you are looking for how to make colored rice for sensory play you have come to the right place. Here is my fool proof recipe for the most vibrant rainbow rice for sensory play!
Are you ready to blow your toddler’s mind?! I still remember the day my daughter first played with colored rice. I had never seen her so engaged in play for so long. She was 14 months and she remained immersed in play for nearly 30 minutes?!? I was with her playing the entire time which helped but after seeing how much fun sensory rice play was I has hooked to sensory play and you will be too.
If you are looking for sensory bin ideas and ways to use your colored rice, check out these sensory bin ideas here. I also wrote a book of sensory bins called Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids. Find out more below.
Supplies for Colored Rice
- 1 Cup of White Rice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- Several Drops of Gel Food Coloring
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets or Tupperware containers
How to Make Colored Rice
- Combine the rice, white vinegar and food coloring in a Ziploc bag.
- Seal it carefully and mix the contents throughly.
- Repeat for each color.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or line a Tupperware container.
- Spread the colored rice out on the parchment paper and allow it to dry overnight.
How to Make Colored Rice: Troubleshooting
If you don’t have gel food coloring, regular food coloring will work fine. If you want your rice to be more vibrant add more than just a few drops of food coloring and a small amount of white vinegar. Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of rice I usually make between 6-7 cups of rice for a sensory bin.
How to Store Colored Rice
Store your rainbow rice in an airtight container such as a ziplock bag. If you store your rice correctly (in an airtight container and in a dry area), your rainbow rice will last for years. Before each use double check to see if any mold has started to grow. If you detect mold, throw away all your rice. I made a huge batch of rainbow rice in 2016 and I only threw it away in 2020.
Fun Ways to Play with Colored Rice
Here are some fun way to play with your colored rice:
- How to Make A Rainbow Rice Maze Run Sensory Bin
- Tubes & Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin
- Rainbow Rice Scoop and Pour
- Sensory Rice Caterpillar Counting: Toddler Math
- Caps and Rice Sensory Bin
- Magnetic Treasure Hunt
Fun Ways to Craft with Colored Rice
Here are some fun way to make crafts with your colored rice:
- Fun Sensory Rice Pot of Gold Rainbow Craft for Kids
- Sensory Rice Rainbow Craft for Toddlers
- Sensory Rice Easter Bunny Craft
- Sensory Rice Easter Egg Craft for Kids
- Rainbow Sun Catcher Craft