Sensory Rice Rainbow Craft is a fun sensory rice craft to create for spring. This easy and colourful craft is great for your toddlers and preschoolers. Create a rainbow using coloured rice!!
Supplies for Sensory Rice Rainbow
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Rainbow coloured rice (see recipe below)
- White Cardstock
- Cotton balls
- Black construction paper
- Gold foam paper
How to Make Sensory Rice Rainbow Craft
- Grab your supplies.
- Lightly draw the outline in pencil of a rainbow coming out of two clouds on a sheet of white card stock.
- Invite your little one to glue down cotton balls for the clouds.
- Then take a paint brush and paint on glue where the rainbow is going to go.
- Next, place your rainbow into a baking sheet. This will help to reduce the mess. Sprinkle over rainbow coloured rice on to the glue until the rainbow is covered in rice. Shake off the extra rice back into a bowl.
How to Make Rainbow Colored Rice
What You’ll Need
- 1 Cup of White Rice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- Several Drops of Gel Food Coloring
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets or Tupperware containers
How to Make
- Combine the rice, white vinegar and food coloring in a Ziploc bag.
- Seal it carefully and mix the contents throughly.
- Repeat for each color.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or line a Tupperware container.
- Spread the colored rice out on the parchment paper and allow it to dry overnight.
If you don’t have gel food coloring, regular food coloring will work fine. If you want your rice to be more vibrant add more than just a few drops of food coloring and a small amount of white vinegar. Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of rice I usually make between 6-7 cups of rice for a sensory bin.
This activity is good for kids 2 years and up. My kids are 3.5, 3.5, and 7 year old.
Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
STEAM Activity Book
Looking for a fun activity book for your preschooler or kindergartner? Check out my new book Super STEAM Activity Book: Launch Learning with Fun Mazes, Dot-to-Dots, Search-the-Page Puzzles, and More! ! Click here to learn more or order it now!