How to Make a Climbing Spider STEAM Craft
- Use a bowl and a slightly smaller jar lid to trace tow circles and cut them out of the cereal box cardboard.
- Paint the circles with craft paint. Once they are dry decorate them with dot stickers
- Glue the smaller circle to the larger one.
- Grab 4 pipe cleaners and line them all up. Twist them in the middle, spread them all out and bend the ends like spider legs.
- Tape the legs to the back of the spider.
- Cut out two ½ to 1-inch sections from the straw.
- Tape the straws to the back of the spider.
- Cut a long piece of yarn or string.
- Thread one end of the yarn through a straw and down through the other using a embroidery needle.
- Attach a wooden bead to the end of the yarn. Tie knots at the ends of the yarn or string. This prevents the spider from falling off the yarn.
- Tape a small coin to the bottom of the spier on the back.
- Loop the middle of the thread over a door handle. To make the spider climb pull one end of the thread and then pull the other end again and again.
- Once the spider reaches the top, let go of both ends of the thread and the spider will climb back down.
This activity is good for pre-k, kindergarten aged children 3 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is low
Difficulty to Create
Gross motor skills, language development, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Card stock
- small coin
- Googley eyes
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Book: Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? GClick here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Book: Super STEAM Activity Book for Kids
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Book: Big Book of Riddles for Kids
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to finally share my new crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched July 1 at on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube!
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are some fun and easy ways to keep your child engaged while at the same time using sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop our ready made play kits here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.