Practice learning shapes with this fun paint the shapes activity for preschoolers and kindergartners. This easy activity is a great hands-on early math activity for developing familiarity with geometric shapes.
Learning geometric shapes is an important skills in early math. This colorful painting shape activity is a fun way to incorporate learning shapes with art! Not only are they learning shapes but they are also learning to read a code. While painting inside the shapes, they are also learning how to draw the shape and recognize colours.
How to Set Up Paint the Shapes Activity
- Grab your cereal box and open it up and flatten it out with the plain cardboard in the inside facing up.
- Take your second cereal box and cut thin 1inch strips.
- Use a glue gun to glue the thin strips to the flat cardboard surface in the shape of different shapes, such as circle, triangle, square, rectangle, diamond.
- Make the colouring code. Take a sheet of white paper and draw out the shapes then colour in each shape a different colour.
- Pour out paint in the same colours on to a paper plate or paint pallet and invite your preschooler or kindergartener to paint the shapes according to the colouring code.
Difficulty to Create
- Cereal Box or granola bar cardboard boxes (I used one cereal box and one granola bar box)
- Washable kid paint
- Paint Brush
- White paper
- Hot Glue Gun
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Designed for kids 18 months+.
Designed for kids 3 years+.
Designed for kids ages 6 years+
TV Show: Curious Crafting
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers.