Create this adorable pipe cleaner colour matching turkey craft for your toddler this Thanksgiving and let them practice their fine motor skills as well as visual discrimination skills! Its a fun way to create a turkey this fall!
How to Make A Pipe Cleaner Colour Match Turkey
- Take a square piece of cardboard and draw or cut and glue a turkey body to it using brown construction paper for the body, orange construction paper for the beak, red construction paper for the snood and googley eyes.
- Cut paper or plastic straws in different colours to about 2 inches. You want to make sure that you have pipe cleaners in the similar colour as the straws.
- Take your glue gun and glue the straws all around the turkey body like they are feathers.
- Grab your pipe cleaners (in matching colours to the straws that you glue down). Fold them in half once and then again and cut into four pieces. If you are using the puffy pipe cleaners cut them to that the puffy part are end the end.
How to Play Pipe Cleaner Colour Match Turkey
Place the pipe cleaners into a bowls and invite your toddler or preschooler to match the pipe cleaner to the straws and then insert them into the straws to create a colour turkey!
This is a great fine motor, sorting and colour recogontion activity for toddlers and preschoolers.
Extend the Activity
Dont toss your turkey creation you can invite your child to insert different items into the straws, such as q-tips cut in half and coloured with a dot marker or feathers or lacing with string!
This activity is good for toddlers, pre-k, kindergarten aged children 3 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
Mess Level for Pipe Cleaner Colour Match Turkey
The mess level for this activity is low.
Difficulty to Create
Visual discrimination, language development, number recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies Pipe Cleaner Colour Match Turkey
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Brown, red, orange construction paper
- Googley eyes
- Colourful straws
- Puffy pipe cleaners
- Glue gun
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.