Sponge Painted Leaf Resist Art Leaf Resist Art is a simple and fun Fall craft for toddlers and preschoolers. Use real leafs to make a colourful art for fall!
Leaf Resist Art
This easy fall craft is a great idea to try after spending some time outside. Just before heading in, invite your little one to collect some interesting green leafs that they find on the ground. Use them to make some art with sponges!
How to Make a Sponge Painted Leaf Resist Art for Fall
- Grab some fallen leaves from outside. For this activity fresh leaves work best.
- Arrange them on a sheet of black construction paper and secure them with a small rolled up piece of tape.
- Cut a sponge into small pieces and use one piece to paint.
- Pour out some red, yellow and orange paint on to a paper plate or paint pallet.
- Protect your table with a plastic table cloth or butcher paper.
- Invite your little one to dip the sponge into the paint and paint all around the leaves. Encourage them to dip the paint into all the colours to make different shades of red, yellow and orange. Cover all the black spaces with colour!
- Remove the leaves to reveal the negative black space below in the shape the leaves.
This activity is good for toddlers, pre-k, kindergarten aged children 3 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, number recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies for Sponge Painted Leaf Resist Art for Fall
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Black construction paper
- Fallen Leaves
- Painter’s tape
- Washable kits Paint in red, yellow and orange
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are some fun and easy ways to keep your child engaged while at the same time using sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop our ready made play kits here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.