Clouds are fascinating natural phenomena that have captured the imagination of people for generations. They come in different shapes and sizes and are an important part of the water cycle. Learn about clouds through this fun and engaging 3D cloud craft.
The 3D cloud craft is a perfect activity for parents, teachers, or caregivers to do with children. It’s a great way to spark creativity and curiosity, while also providing a fun way to learn about the natural world. So whether you’re looking for an activity to do on a rainy day or just want to inspire your child’s love of learning, this craft project is sure to be a hit!
WANT TO TRY MAKING THIS 3D RAIN CLOUD MOBILE WITH YOUR CHILD LATER? PIN IT NOW, FIND IT WHEN YOU NEED IT!
Make a 3D Rain Cloud Mobile
Making a 3D rain cloud mobile is a fun and creative craft project that is perfect for children of all ages. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own 3D rain cloud mobile using paper and a spring:
- White paper
- Blue construction paper inn different shades
- Cotton balls
- Fishing line or string
- Single Hole punch
- Draw and cut out 3 cloud shapes from white paper in three different sizes. Make one really big, one slightly smaller and one smaller one. These will be the base of your 3D rain cloud.
- Draw and cut out raindrop shapes from different shapes of blue construction paper. You can make them as large or small as you like, depending on how big you want your mobile to be.
- Use a single hole punch to make holes at the tiop of each rain drop.
- Cut several lengths of fishing line or string, each about 12-18 inches long.
- Tie a string through the hole of each rain drop.
- Tape the other tend of the string attached to the rain drops to the bottom of the largest cloud.
- Cut out four 5 cm long rectangles and fold them twice to make a ‘z’ shape. Put glue on one end and attach it to the bottom of the medium sized cloud. Repeat with a second rectangle. Glue the medium sized cloud over top the taped raindrops on the larger cloud. The folded rectangles will allow the medium sized cloud to sit on top of the larger cloud and hide the tape.
- Repeat this step with the smaller cloud so that is rests on top of the medium cloud to create the 3D cloud.
- Cut a longer string and tape each end to the back of the large cloud.
- Hang your 3D rain cloud mobile in a prominent place, and enjoy watching it move and sway in the breeze.
Optional: We decided to turn this into an activity talking about emotions – good and bad! So we decorated each raindrop with a different emotion ranging from sad, lonely, surprised, to angry and frustrated. We talked about each and tried making the faces! It was a lot of fun! You can either extend the activity like this or keep it a fun cloud craft!
Learn about Clouds
Clouds are fascinating to kids and adults alike. Here are 5 easy facts about clouds my kids found interesting:
- Clouds are made up of tiny water droplets or ice crystals that have formed in the atmosphere.
- There are many different types of clouds, each with their own unique characteristics. Some common types of clouds include cumulus, stratus, and cirrus clouds.
- Clouds can be used to predict weather. For example, cumulonimbus clouds are often associated with thunderstorms, while cirrus clouds are often a sign of fair weather.
- Clouds can move quickly or slowly, depending on the speed and direction of the wind.
- Clouds can take on different colors, depending on the time of day and the position of the sun. For example, at sunset, clouds may appear pink or orange, while during the day they may appear white or gray.
This craft is good for toddlers aged children 2 years old and up.
The mess level for this craft is low.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, shape recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to share my crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched in July 2022 on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube! Season 2 airs in the summer of 2023! We were also nominated in 2023 for Best Live Action Preschool Series by the Youth Media Alliance Awards of Excellence.
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.