INSIDE: This beautiful coffee filter butterfly craft is the perfect indoor craft activity for a sponge day! Create unique butterfly wings with markers and water using a coffee household item – coffee filters! This is a great craft toddlers and preschoolers!
How to Make Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft
- Colour a coffee filter with washable markers. I found that the Mr. Sketch markers provided the brightest and most vibrant colours. But any washable marker will work.
- Place the coffee filter in a shallow dish or on a plate and spray with a small amount of water until the colours have started to bleed into each other. Set aside to dry
- Take a clothes pin and paint it using washable kids paint. Set it aside to dry.
- Grab a pipe cleaner. Fold it in half and curl the ends using a pencil or your finger.
- There are two ways to create wings of the butterfly. You can scrunch the coffee filter up and place it into the clothes pin. The other way to create wings is to fold the coffee filter in half and cut out the wings (see the photos below).
- Attach the pipe cleaner antenna to the top of the butterfly.
Easy Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft for Kids
This activity is good for kids 3 years and up. My kids are 3.5, 3.5, and 7 year old.
Supplies for Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Coffee filter
- Clothes Pin
- Washable Marker (Mr Sketch work best)
- Pipe cleaner
- Washable paint and brush
- Spray bottle
Make quiet time their favourite time!
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
My Sensory Play Kits are a fun and easy way to keep your child engaged while at the same time capitalizing on the benefits of sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop my ready made sensory play kits here.
Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
STEAM Activity Book
Looking for a fun activity book for your preschooler this summer? Check out my new book Super STEAM Activity Book: Launch Learning with Fun Mazes, Dot-to-Dots, Search-the-Page Puzzles, and More! ! Click here to learn more or order it now!