Make this fun dragon puppet with your kids for Chinese or the Lunar New Year or any time of the year! Its a fun craft for preschoolers, kindergarteners and big kids!
How to Make A Dragon Craft for Kids
- Trace a bowl or small paper plate on a sheet of cardstock to make the head of the dragon.
- Trace a slightly smaller circle from red card stock to make the inside of the dragon’s mouth.
- Cut out top and bottom teeth from white construction paper.
- Cut out large arches for the eyes and and slightly smaller arches for the nostrils from the same colour you used for the dragon’s head.
- Cut out a large triangle for the tail of the dragon.
- Fold the two circles in half. Glue the red circle to the larger circle.
- Glue on the teeth.
- Glue on large googley eyes to the larger arches and draw small black circles for the smaller arches.
Time to Decorate the Dragon
- Decorate the dragon with a feather boa using double sided tape. Place some feather behind the eyes and some behind the nose.
Create the Body of the Dragon
- Cut out six thin strips from construction paper.
- Glue on strip together to create a loop. Slide another through the loop and tape it together to create a paper chain.
- Make about six links in the paper chain using tape.
- Glue on the triangle to the last loop.
- Add feathers to the tail.
- Tape the chain to the back of the dragon’s head.
Turn the Dragon into a Puppet
- Tape a straw to the back of dragon on the last loop.
- Tape another paper straw to the back of the dragons head
Age Suitability for Dragon Craft for Kids
This activity is good for pre-k, kindergarten aged children 18 months old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies for Dragon Craft for Kids
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Paper straws
- Googley eyes
- Construction paper
- Feather boa
- Double sided tape
Books & TV Show!
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.