- Trace and cut out two of the unicorn head and neck outlines from white paper.
- Trace and cut out two ears from white paper.
- Trace and cut out two unicorn horns from gold sparkly paper.
- Glue the neck and ears to the head of the unicorn. Glue on the unicorn horn. Place the second head on top of the first and glue on the second neck, ear and horn so that the two unicorns are lined up.
- Place the heads down so that they are facing each other – see image (this is key so that you paint on the correct side of the unicorn.
- Paint the head, neck and ears of each unicorn head and set it aside to dry.
- Once dry draw details such as eyes, a mouth, a nose etc. on both head using a sharpie.
- Cut of inner ears using felt. Glue to the ears.
- Create a handle for the hobby horse unicorn using a wooden dowel. Wrap bubble wrap around the stick and secure with masking tape.
- Staple the two heads together. Staple all around the perimeter of the head, adding lots of staples. Leave the bottom of the neck open until the end.
- Next, using a punch, make holes for the mane on the side.
- Using the holes punched, thread wool, to create the mane by looping the yarn.
- Insert the stick into the neck of the unicorn. Add staple around it to secure it.
- Enjoy by riding your unicorn!
Age Suitability for Unicorn Hobby Horse Craft for Kids
This activity is good for toddlers, pre-k, kindergarten aged children 18 months old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies for Unicorn Hobby Horse Craft for Kids
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- white paper
- Marker or pen
- Wooden dowel
- Paint brushes
Books & TV Show!
Book: Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Book: Super STEAM Activity Book for Kids
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Book: Big Book of Riddles for Kids
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to finally share my new crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched July 1 at on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube!
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.