AHEAD: Washi Tape Resist Heart Craft is a fun craft for watercolours toddlers and preschoolers to do this Valentine’s Day. Make this beautiful card for a loved grandparent or as an easy low mess and low prep craft.
I love using water colour paints and washi tape. They are my absolute favourite things to combine to create an unique and beautiful craft. They never fail to deliver and this craft is no exception. Even if your toddler is like mine and not into doing crafts that much will still create something you can give to a loved one for Valentine’s Day! In this craft you can either keep the washi tape like we did for my little guy or you can remove it for a great tape resist craft. If you can going to remove the tape you can use painter’s tape.
Sensory Bin and STEAM Books
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
How to Make Washi Tape Resist Heart Craft
Questions to ask your little one before and as they create:
Tell your toddler or preschooler that they are going to colour in a hear! Show them a picture of the craft before hand or make one yourself so they can see what they will create!
- Ask them what colour they want to make their heart.
- What are some Valentine’s Day Colours?
- Who would you like to give this card to?
- Fold a piece of white card stock or white construction paper in half.
- Grab pink, red or purple washi tape and tape down a heart shape. For preschoolers trace a heart out lightly with a pencil and have them create the heart with the tape with your help. (ie you tear off the piece of washi tape and they stick it down).
- Grab your watercolours and brush as start painting inside and outside of the heart. You lots of Valentine’s colours like pinks, reds and purples. But let them use any colour they choose!
- Set it aside to dry. Once dry remove the washi tape or painters tape (optional) for a tape resist outline of a heart and decorate it with gem stickers. Or you can leave the washi tape on (especially if you toddler didn’t want to finish painting the entire heart! – it happens, they are toddlers with the attention span of 3-4 minutes!).
- Once dry use a black sharpie to write your message on the outside and inside of the card.
Washi Tape Resist Heart Craft 3 Different Ways
You can finish this card three different ways. Either leave the washi tape on, remove it for a tape resist card. Leave it like this for a striking outline of a heart or decorate the heart with gem stickers for a jeweled looks anyone would love!
Looking for more Fun Valentine’s Day Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
- 25+ Fun Valentines Day Activities for Toddlers
- 8 Valentines Day Sticky Walls
- 15+ Valentines Day Crafts for Toddlers
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- White card stock or construction paper
- Valentines Washi Masking Tape or painter’s tape
- Watercolours Paint
- Paint brush
- Black sharpie
- Gem stickers