INSIDE: Balloon Easter egg hunt is a fun twist on the traditional plastic Easter egg hunt that is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers and even older kids! Instead of using plastic Easter eggs to hide the treats use balloons!
Easter egg hunts for Toddlers
I remember the first Easter egg hunt my toddlers did. It was unbearably cute. They literally toddled around as us adults (who out numbers the kids 2 to 1), tried to help them discover the eggs that we often hidden in plain sight. Luckily we had older kids around that knew the deal and they followed along, more to placate the adults and less about a desire to actually collect the eggs. Fast forward 2 years and my toddlers are growing into preschoolers and they are Easter egg hunt experts. But I wish that I had thought about doing a balloon hunt back then.
First off, finding balloons is way more fun to a toddler than finding Easter eggs. Second, they are bigger and easier to see (and we probably won’t have been discovering lost Easter eggs for the rest of the spring). Finally, they lead to tons of free play afterwards!
This activity isn’t just for toddler though, because part of the activity involves popping the balloons. I did this with my 3 year olds, one wagering wanted to pop them while the other was content to sit back and watch slightly afraid of the popping noise.
Tips for Making Balloon Egg Easter Hunt Fun
Before doing this activity test out your toddler or preschoolers tolerance for the sound of a popping balloon. I found the less air you put in the balloons then softer the pop. I only blew up my balloon to the size of a mango and when my preschoolers popped them they were not startled at all. But its important to test their tolerance in order to make this activity enjoyable for them and for you.
For preschooler 3 year old and up I let them pop the balloons themselves. For toddlers, you can pop the balloons for them to reveal the treat inside. I tested the popping of the balloons before doing the Easter egg hunt. Let them practice on a few balloons so that once they get to the hunt, they will know exactly what to do. You many need to hold the balloons for them as they pop them.
The Best Sensory Bin and STEAM Books
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Also check out my new book coming out in the Summer 2021: Super STEAM Activity Book! Stay tuned for more information!
Toddler Homeschool Program
I am currently developing a new Toddler Homeschool Curriculum called Play2Learn Toddler Homeschool Program. Be sure to sign up for my newsletters so that you get first dibs when it is released!
How to Set Up Balloon Egg Easter Hunt
- Grab your Easter treats and balloons. I used mini chocolate eggs individually wrapped and other small individually wrapped chocolates. Place a treat or two into the balloon. You want to make sure that the balloon won’t blow away if the wind picks up during your hunt. Blow up the equal number of balloons if you are doing this activity with just a few children.
- Blow up your balloons to the size of small mangoes.
- Hide them around your house or backyard or venue.
- Place a large container such as a sensory bin in the middle of the venue.
- If you are doing this with 2 or 3 kids, assign a colour to each child and have them find that colour and place it in the large container.
- Once all the balloons have been found hand your preschooler a bamboo stick (let them know that one side is sharp and that they need to be careful). Invite them to pop the balloon to find the treat inside.
Skill Development Opportunities
This activity is great for Early Math skill, Language and Vocabulary Development, Hand-Eye Coordination, Fine Motor Skills, Problem Solving, Emotional Development, Trial & Error, Visual Perception, Cognitive Development and Imaginative.
My twins are 3 years old at the time of this activity. This activity is ideal for 2 year old toddlers and up.
Looking for more fun and easy Easter crafts & activities? Check out these amazing ideas:
- 24 Easter Sensory Bins
- 50+ Easter Bunny Crafts and Activities
- 40+ Easter Crafts and Activities
- 50+ Creative DIY Easter Egg Decorating Ideas
- 50+ Amazing Easter Egg Hunt Ideas
- 30+ Easter Basket Ideas for Kids
- 30+ Easter Crafts for Toddlers
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Large container such as sensory bin storage container
- Bamboo sticks
- Easter treat