Dive into a bug-tastic adventure with our enchanting Bug Sensory Bin! Discover the wonders of nature as your little explorers immerse themselves in this engaging and hands-on play experience. With creepy-crawlies, sensory materials, and imaginative fun, this sensory bin promises endless delight for curious minds. Let the bug hunt begin! In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps of creating a captivating bug sensory bin filled with green rice, and bug toys. Watch as your child’s imagination comes alive while they engage in sensory exploration with tweezers, scoopers, and magnifying glasses. Additionally, we’ll discuss the benefits of sensory play and how to store the green rice for endless hours of bug-tastic fun!
WILL YOU TRY MAKING A BUG SENSORY BIN FOR YOUR CHILD? Pin it for later!
Creating Green Coloured Rice for Sensory Play
To begin, let’s craft the vibrant green rice, which will form the base of our bug sensory bin:
- 1 Cup of White Rice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- Several Drops of Brown Gel Food Coloring
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets or Tupperware containers
- Place the white rice in a Ziplock bag.
- Add a few drops of green liquid watercolors or food coloring to the rice and vinegar.
- Seal the bag and shake it vigorously until the rice is evenly coated with the green color.
- Spread the green rice on a tray or parchment paper to air dry for a couple of hours.
- Once dry, transfer the green rice to a plastic container with a lid for easy storage.
Setting Up the Bug Sensory Bin
Now that we have our green rice ready, let’s set up the bug sensory bin for an unforgettable adventure:
- Green rice
- Bug toys (plastic insects and bugs)
- Rocks, sticks, greenery and flowers (to create a natural habitat)
- Small jar with a lid (to capture pretend bugs)
- Tweezers and scoopers (for fine motor play)
- Magnifying glass (for exploring bugs up close)
- Sensory bin or tray (to contain the materials)
- Choose a spacious sensory bin or tray for the bug sensory play area.
- Fill the bin with the green rice, creating a lush and inviting landscape for the bugs to roam.
- Arrange the bug toys, rocks, flowers, greenery and sticks throughout the green rice to create a realistic bug habitat.
- Place the small jar with a lid nearby to encourage pretend bug-catching play.
- Add the tweezers, scoopers, and magnifying glass to the bin, allowing kids to explore and interact with the bugs and rice.
Playing with the Bug Sensory Bin
Playing with a bug sensory bin is a delightful adventure that ignites young imaginations and encourages exploration! As your child dives into the sensory-rich landscape filled with bugs, they can engage in various play scenarios. They may embark on a bug hunt, using scoops and tweezers to capture the critters and transfer them to a small jar. Observing bugs up close with a magnifying glass sparks scientific curiosity, while arranging rocks and sticks creates a natural habitat for the bugs. The soft texture of the green rice provides a sensory experience, fostering fine motor skills as they dig, pour, and explore. With creative storytelling and imaginative play, kids can dive into the world of insects, making up their own bug adventures and tales. Through this bug sensory bin play, children embrace the wonders of nature, learning and having fun in a captivating and sensory-rich environment.
Benefits of Sensory Play
Engaging in sensory play, like the Bug Sensory Bin, offers a multitude of benefits for kids:
- Sensory Development: Exploring different textures, colors, and materials stimulates sensory development and fosters tactile skills.
- Imaginative Play: Pretend bug-catching and bug-exploring scenarios enhance creativity and imaginative thinking.
- Fine Motor Skills: Using tweezers and scoopers to handle rice and bugs strengthens fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Scientific Exploration: Observing bugs with a magnifying glass encourages scientific curiosity and observation.
Storing the Green Rice
To keep the bug sensory bin ready for future adventures, store the green rice in a sealed plastic container with a lid. Store the container in a cool and dry place to ensure the rice stays fresh and ready for more bug-tastic play sessions!
The Bug Sensory Bin provides a magical and educational experience that allows kids to dive into the captivating world of bugs through imaginative and sensory exploration. Engaging in sensory play offers a range of developmental benefits, from fine-tuning fine motor skills to igniting imaginative play. So, set up your bug sensory bin and watch as your little adventurers embark on a bug-tastic journey, discovering the wonders of nature while having a buzzing good time! Happy bug hunting and sensory exploring!
This activity is good for toddlers aged children 2 years old and up with adult assistance.
The mess level for this activity is low.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, shape recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to share my crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched in July 2022 on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube! Season 2 airs in the summer of 2023! We were also nominated in 2023 for Best Live Action Preschool Series by the Youth Media Alliance Awards of Excellence.
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.