Discover the joy of playtime with 6-month-olds with these 11 easy and exciting at-home activities for 6 month olds that will keep your little one entertained and engaged!
6 Month Olds
The first year of a baby’s life is an exciting time filled with rapid growth and development. By the time your baby reaches 6 months old, they are likely becoming more alert, responsive, and eager to explore the world around them. As a parent, it’s important to provide your 6 month old with opportunities for play and stimulation that are appropriate for their age and stage of development. In this blog post, we will explore what 6 month old babies can and should be capable of doing, highlight some important milestones to watch for, and share 11 fun and creative activities that you can do with your baby at home to promote their growth and development.
Developmental Milestones at 6 Month Olds
At 6 months old, babies are reaching some exciting developmental milestones. They are usually able to sit up with support and may even be starting to sit up on their own for short periods of time. 6 month old babies can reach for and grab objects, and may be starting to pass toys from one hand to the other. They are also likely showing more interest in their surroundings and may be able to recognize familiar faces and objects. Additionally, their hand-eye coordination and motor skills are improving, allowing them to explore and interact with their environment in new ways.
WANT TO TRY THESE ACTIVITIES LATER? PIN IT NOW SO YOU CAN FIND IT WHEN YOU NEED IT!
11 Fun and Creative Activities for 6 Month Olds at Home
- Soft Toy Exploration: Provide your baby with soft toys of different shapes, textures, and sizes, and let them explore them with their hands and mouth.
- Puppet Show: Use puppets or soft toys to create a simple puppet show for your baby, engaging their visual and auditory senses.
- Sensory Bin: Fill a shallow plastic container with soft fabrics, balls, or textured toys, and let your baby explore with their hands and mouth.
- Baby Yoga: Gently stretch and move your baby’s limbs in a gentle baby yoga routine to promote flexibility and body awareness.
- Babywearing: Use a baby carrier or wrap to carry your baby while you move around the house or do simple household chores.
More at Home Activities for 6 Month Olds
- Scarf Play: Use colorful scarves to play peekaboo, wave them in the air, or gently drape them over your baby for sensory stimulation.
- Music Time: Play soft and soothing music for your baby, and sing or dance together to encourage movement and sensory exploration.
- Water Sensory Play: Fill a shallow container with water and provide cups, spoons, and toys for your baby to splash and play with under your supervision.
- Baby Dance Party: Put on some upbeat music and dance with your baby in your arms, providing gentle movements and rhythm to stimulate their senses.
- Sensory Bottles: Create sensory bottles with water, glitter, or small objects, and let your baby shake and explore them safely.
- Mirror Play: Sit in front of a mirror with your baby and make funny faces or play peekaboo, helping them develop self-awareness and tracking skills.
Remember to always consider your baby’s safety and developmental stage when planning activities. Supervise closely and use age-appropriate materials and toys. Enjoy the precious moments of playtime and exploration with your 6-month-old baby! Happy playing!
Disclaimer: Please consult with your pediatrician or healthcare provider before starting any new activities with your baby to ensure their safety and well-being. Always follow appropriate safety guidelines and age recommendations for toys and activities.
These at home activities are good for babies aged 6-months-olds and up.
The mess level for these activities for 6-month-olds varies.
Difficulty to Create Activities for 6-Month-Olds
Skills Developed for Activities for 6-Month-Olds
Visual tracking, Body awareness, Reaching, grasping & eye hand coordination, fine motor skills, gross motor skills.
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to share my crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched in July 2022 on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube! Season 2 airs in the summer of 2023! We were also nominated in 2023 for Best Live Action Preschool Series by the Youth Media Alliance Awards of Excellence.
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
In season 2, we add new kinds of crafts like STEAM crafts and slime!
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.