INSIDE: Juneteenth Necklace Craft is a fun and easy craft for kids using painted pasta! It is also a great way to celebrate and learn about Juneteenth.
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are a fun and easy way to keep your child engaged while at the same time capitalizing on the benefits of sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop our ready made sensory play kits here.
Looking for a fun activity book for your preschooler or kindergartner? Check out my new book Super STEAM Activity Book: Launch Learning with Fun Mazes, Dot-to-Dots, Search-the-Page Puzzles, and More! ! Click here to learn more or order it now!
How to Create A Juneteenth Pasta Necklace Craft
Making painted pasta is super easy. Grab your tempera paint. I find this type of paint works best. You could do it with regular washable paint but the colour transfers and it does not stay as well. You can also use food colouring and hand sanitizer. For the full recipes using food colouring and hand sanitizer, checkout my book Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids.
- Place the Rigatoni into a ziplock bag and add some blue tempera paint.
Repeat using red and white tempera paint.
Make Painted Pasta Necklaces
- Cut a piece of string the desired length for a necklace. I made the necklace a little longer for my 6 year old but shorter for my 3 year olds.
- Cut a small piece off a pipe cleaner and twist it around the piece of string tip off. This will act like a needle which they can thread through the pasta.
- At the other end of the string I tied colored pasta to the end in order to prevent the rest of the coloured pasta from falling off.
- Take a piece of string and thread a painted Rigatoni through the needle and down the string. Start off with doing either red of blue for one side. Add one white and then colour with the other colour.
- To make a bracelet, use a pipe cleaner. Thread the painted pasta through, with red on one side separated by one white piece and followed by blue.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Red Pipecleaners
- Red, Blue and White Tempera Paint
- Dried Uncooked White Pasta Rigatoni
- Ziplock Bag
- Wax Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Pipe Cleaner
This activity is good for kids 3 years and up. My kids are 3, 3, and 6 year old.
Looking for more Anti-Racism Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
- 10+ Juneteenth Crafts and Activities for Kids
- 30+ Anti-Racism Activities for Kids
- Best Anti-Racism Toys for Kids
- The Best Black History Month Activities & Crafts for Kids