Rain Painting with Water is a fun and mess free painting activity for toddlers and preschoolers. It’s a fun spring activity and makes the perfect set up for a rainy day.
Painting with Water
Painting with water is a super easy activity for toddlers and even preschoolers. It’s a great way to introduce your young toddler to painting without all the mess. It’s super easy to set up and can be used almost anywhere. Need a way to keep your toddler occupied while you breastfeed or make dinner? Pull out a sheet of coloured construction paper, a bowl of water (just a small amount) and a paint brush and you have the making of a fun activity.
I have taken this classic, fun and easy activity to the next level by adding an additional art element. This levels it up particularly for preschoolers. In this activity I let me mini preschoolers pretend to paint the rain falling from a rain cloud.
The Best Sensory Bin and STEAM Books
Also check out my new book coming out in the Summer 2021: Super STEAM Activity Book! Stay tuned for more information!
The Best Toddler Homeschool Program
I am currently developing a new Toddler Homeschool Curriculum called Play2Learn Toddler Homeschool Program. Be sure to sign up for my newsletters so that you get first dibs when it is released!
How to Set Up Rain Painting with Water
- Grab different 6 sheets of coloured construction paper in different colours and painters tape. Attached them to the wall in a 3×2 grid.
- Grab a black sharpie and draw the picture of a cloud with a cute face and rain falling down.
- Grab a bowl and fill it with a small amount of water. You don’t need a lot of water for this activity and the less water you have then less mess you will have.
- Hand your toddler a paint brush and invite them to paint the raindrops and clouds.
Before starting this activity make sure that your construction paper won’t bleed onto your walls when wet
This is a great mess free activity to do on a rainy day. Its a fun way to talk about colours as well. As your toddler or preschooler is painting talk about how the water is changing the colour of the construction paper. As it dries talk about how the paper changes back.
Looking for more fun Spring crafts & activities? Check out these fun ideas:
Looking for more fun and easy Easter crafts & activities? Check out these amazing ideas:
- 24 Easter Sensory Bins
- 50+ Easter Bunny Crafts and Activities
- 40+ Easter Crafts and Activities
- 50+ Creative DIY Easter Egg Decorating Ideas
- 50+ Amazing Easter Egg Hunt Ideas
- 30+ Easter Basket Ideas for Kids
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Construction paper
- Painters tape
- Paint Brush