If you have a 10-month-old baby and you’re looking for fun and educational activities to do with them, this blog post is for you!
At 10 months old, babies are curious and eager to explore the world around them. As parents, it’s important to provide them with activities that are both stimulating and fun. In this blog post, we’ve compiled a list of 8 simple and engaging activities for 10 month olds that will help your little one develop their physical, cognitive, and social skills.
10 Month Olds
At 10 months old, babies are rapidly developing their skills and abilities across a range of areas. From physical milestones to cognitive and social skills, there’s a lot happening in your little one’s world.
Physically, a 10-month-old baby is likely starting to become more mobile. They may be crawling, pulling themselves up to stand, or even taking their first steps. They’re also developing their fine motor skills, which means they can start to pick up and manipulate small objects with greater precision.
Cognitively, 10-month-old babies are starting to explore their world in more depth. They’re becoming more curious and may spend more time examining objects and figuring out how they work. They’re also starting to develop problem-solving skills and may experiment with different ways to achieve a goal.
Socially, 10-month-old babies are beginning to understand more about the people around them. They may start to wave goodbye, play games like peek-a-boo, and show more interest in other children. They’re also starting to develop a sense of self, which means they may become more assertive and express their preferences more clearly.
Verbal skills are also developing rapidly at this stage. While babies may not be speaking full words yet, they’re starting to babble more and experiment with different sounds. They may also start to understand simple words and commands, and respond to their name.
What Can Activities Can 10 Month Olds Do?
There are many different things that a 10-month-old baby can be learning at this stage. For example, you can help your baby develop their fine motor skills by providing them with toys that encourage grasping and manipulation, such as shape sorters or stacking toys. You can also encourage cognitive development by introducing new textures and objects for them to explore, and by playing games that require problem-solving.
Socially, you can help your baby develop their sense of self and their understanding of others by playing games like peek-a-boo and singing songs together. You can also encourage verbal development by reading books together, pointing out different objects and pictures, and talking to your baby throughout the day.
Overall, the 10-month mark is an exciting time for parents and babies alike. There’s so much to learn and explore, and by providing opportunities for growth and development, you can help your little one reach their full potential.
WANT TO TRY THESE ACTIVITIES LATER? PIN IT NOW SO YOU CAN FIND IT WHEN YOU NEED IT!
8 Fun and Creative Activities for 10 Month Olds at Home
- Singing Songs: Singing songs is a great way to develop your baby’s verbal skills and cognitive skills. Singing nursery rhymes and other simple songs can help your baby learn new words and improve their language skills. Singing also helps your baby develop a sense of rhythm and melody, which can improve their musical abilities.
- Reading Books: Reading books is an excellent way to promote language development and cognitive skills in babies. Choose books with simple words and colorful illustrations that will capture your baby’s attention. As you read, point out objects in the pictures and describe them to your baby. This will help your baby learn new words and develop their understanding of the world around them.
- Stacking Blocks: Stacking blocks is a fun way to develop your baby’s physical coordination and cognitive skills. As your baby stacks the blocks, they will develop their hand-eye coordination and spatial awareness. They will also learn about size and shape as they stack the blocks in different ways.
- Sorting Toys: Sorting toys is a great activity to help develop your baby’s cognitive skills. Provide your baby with a variety of toys with different shapes and colors. Encourage them to sort the toys by color, size, or shape. This will help them develop their problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Arranging Objects: Arranging objects is another great activity that will help develop your baby’s cognitive skills. Provide your baby with a variety of objects with different shapes and sizes, such as balls, blocks, and toys. Encourage them to arrange the objects in different patterns and configurations. This will help them develop their creativity and problem-solving skills.
More Activities for 10 Month Olds
- Drawing with Crayons: Drawing with crayons is a great way to develop your baby’s fine motor skills and cognitive skills. Provide your baby with large sheets of paper and non-toxic crayons. Encourage them to scribble and draw, and talk to them about the colors and shapes they are creating. This will help them develop their artistic abilities and cognitive skills.
- Playing Peek-a-Boo: Playing peek-a-boo is a fun way to develop your baby’s social skills and cognitive skills. Cover your face with your hands or a blanket and say “peek-a-boo!” As your baby gets older, they will start to anticipate the game and may even try to play along.
- Mimicking Sounds: Mimicking sounds is a great way to develop your baby’s verbal skills and cognitive skills. Make different sounds, such as animal noises or simple words, and encourage your baby to mimic them. This will help your baby develop their language skills and cognitive abilities.
Remember, every baby develops at their own pace, so be patient and keep things fun and engaging. By providing your baby with a variety of activities that promote verbal, cognitive, social, and physical development, you are setting them up for success as they continue to grow and learn.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your pediatrician or healthcare provider before starting any new activities with your baby to ensure their safety and well-being. Always follow appropriate safety guidelines and age recommendations for toys and activities.
These at home activities are good for babies aged 10-months-olds and up.
The mess level for these activities for 10-month-olds varies.
Difficulty to Create Activities for 10-Month-Olds
Skills Developed for Activities for 10-Month-Olds
Visual tracking, Body awareness, Reaching, grasping & eye hand coordination, fine motor skills, gross motor skills.
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to share my crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched in July 2022 on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube! Season 2 airs in the summer of 2023! We were also nominated in 2023 for Best Live Action Preschool Series by the Youth Media Alliance Awards of Excellence.
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
In season 2, we add new kinds of crafts like STEAM crafts and slime!
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.