Want to play with playdough with your baby or toddler, but they still put things into their mouths? Check out this taste safe playdough recipe that’s perfect for babies and toddlers.
How to Make Taste-Safe Playdough
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out 1 cup of flour on it. Place it in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7mins.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and cream of tartar. Mix to combine.
- In a separate container, combine the 1/2 cup of boiling water, food colouring and oil.
- Add the boiling water mixture to the flour mixture and mix. Be careful the mixture will be very hot!
- Add the 1/2 cup of boiling water in small increments until you have reached the desired consistency. Note: You may not need to add all of the water. If you are using a stand mixer, add the water as the mixer is turning.
- If kneading by hand, let the mixture cool before you pick it up, protect your counters and hands from staining by laying a sheet of wax paper down and wearing gloves. Knead, knead, knead. Knead it until all its smooth and soft! If using a stand mixer let it continue to mix on medium-high until it starts to form a dough ball.
How to Store Your Taste-Safe Playdough
Store your playdough in an airtight container such as a ziplock bag or any airtight storage container with a lid. Storing it in this way allows it to last for up to 6 months!
How do you fix sticky playdough?
If you find your playdough is too sticky, add a very small amount of flour to your hands as you knead it. Continue adding very small amounts at a time while kneading until you reach the desired consistency. You don’t want to add too much flour otherwise it may get too dry.
Tips with Taste-Safe Playdough for Babies and Toddlers
- Always check for mould before letting your baby or toddler play with playdough, especially if they tend to put things into their mouths.
- This playdough is taste-safe but not edible. Do not let your child eat the playdough.
Age Suitability for Taste-Safe Playdough for Babies and Toddlers
This activity is good for babies and toddlers aged children 12 months old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies for Taste-Safe Playdough for Babies and Toddlers
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- 1 cup of white all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2-3 Drops of Gel Food colouring
- Stand mixer with dough hook or large mixing bowl and spoon
- Measuring cup and measuring spoons
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years. And Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.