Create a fun cloud dough kitchen activity for toddlers and preschoolers!
If you are a big fan of play dough then you will love the texture of cloud dough. It is super easy to make and feels like very soft sand. The best things about it is that it uses item you already have at home!
READ MORE… How to Start Doing Activities With Your Kids
Check out these easy play dough activity ideas:
How to Make Cloud Dough
Cloud dough is not edible. Raw flour should not be ingested. Adult supervision is required.
Makes about 8 cups amount (about 1.2 kg) cloud dough
- Large mixing bowl
- 8 cups (1 kg) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (55 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, or more as needed (optional, for brown cloud dough)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable oil
- In the mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder (if using) and vegetable oil.
- Mix together until the cloud dough becomes moldable. Add more oil if it’s too dry or more flour if it’s too wet, as needed.
- Cloud dough is ready when you can shape it into a ball with your hands. Add more cocoa if you want to make the color of the cloud dough darker.
How to Set up Cloud Dough Kitchen
Create the cloud dough. Then add it to your sensory bin or a IKEA FLISAT Children’s Sensory Table along with a few play kitchen tools like pots and pans, spoons and spatulas.
This sensory activity can get messy so I put all my little ones in aprons! Play play clothes or smocks would also work.
To help contain the mess on the floor I placed a plastic table cloth underneath the IKEA FLISAT Children’s Sensory Table.
Fun Pretend Play Activity
This was a lot of fun for all three of my kids and a total hit.
We will definitely be using cloud dough again!
Skill Development Opportunities
This activity is great for Language and Vocabulary Development, Hand-Eye Coordination, Fine Motor Skills, Problem Solving, Emotional Development, Trial & Error, Visual Perception, Cognitive Development, Imaginative and Sensory Play.
This activity is ideal for 18 month old toddlers and up. In this activity my three kids are 5 years and 19 months old.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Cloud Dough (recipe above)
- Play kitchen toys
- Ice cube tray
- Plastic Table Cloth
- 41 Qt, Clear Sensory Bin (Large) or a IKEA FLISAT Children’s Sensory Table