Set up this easy Christmas tree sensory bin using green coloured rice. This is the perfect holiday sensory bin for toddlers and preschoolers.
Did you know that I recently wrote a book of Sensory Bins? It’s called Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids. Check it out at your local bookstore or on Amazon.
Looking for more Fun Christmas Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
- 100+ Christmas Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- 25+ Christmas STEAM Activities
- 12+ Christmas Sticky Walls
- 25+ Easy Christmas Sensory Bins
How to Make Green Colored Rice
What You’ll Need
- 1 Cup of White Rice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- Several Drops of Green Gel Food Coloring
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets or Tupperware containers
How to Make
- Combine the rice, white vinegar and green food coloring in a Ziploc bag.
- Seal it carefully and mix the contents throughly.
- Repeat for each color.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or line a Tupperware container.
- Spread the colored rice out on the parchment paper and allow it to dry overnight.
If you don’t have gel food coloring, regular food coloring will work fine. If you want your rice to be more vibrant add more than just a few drops of food coloring and a small amount of white vinegar. Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of rice I usually make between 6-7 cups of rice for a sensory bin.
How to Set Up Christmas Tree Sensory Bin
To set up this sensory bin, grab all your supplies. Add the green coloured rice and add Pom Poms, caps and lights. Also include colored bowls for sorting, tongs for fine motor practice and spoons.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Sensory Bin or Sensory Table
- Green Coloured Rice (see recipe above)
- Plastic Christmas Lights
- Red, green and white pom poms
- Red, green and white squeeze pouch caps
- Colourful bowls
- Miniature Pine Trees