Need a fun idea to keep your kids busy this summer? Make a pool noodle racetrack and let the games begin! This is a fun gross motor activity that your car fan will love!
What Type of Pool Noodles to Use
If you have a pool in your backyard you’re no stranger to pool noodles. You probably have quite a few hanging around, some older than others. For all of the pool noodle activities that I do, I like to use dollar store pool noodles and save the more expensive versions for actually swimming. The dollar store noodles are usually smaller in diameter, making them easier to cut and manipulate for crafts and activities. But for this activity a large pool noodle is ideal. That way you have enough space in the middle to actually fit a small car.
That being said, I did this activity successfully with a thin dollar store noodle, so if you’re like me and don’t have a large noodle handy or you don’t want to destroy the ones you have, you can still setup this activity using a smaller one.
If you are using a large noodle you can attach the duct tape on the back the pool noodle rather on the front like what is pictured below.
How to Make a Pool Noodle Racetrack
- Use box cutters to cut a pool in half lengthwise. Open it up and cut it again on the other side so that you have two halves.
- Use duct tape to connect the two halves together.
- Cut out two small rectangles about half the size of a smart phone. Write START and FINISH on each.
- Add the green washi tape to the top and bottom of the start sign. Add black and white washi tape around the top and bottom of the finish sign.
- Cut 4 bamboo sticks in half and tape two sticks with the point on one end to two either side of the each sign.
- Stick the finish sign on one end of the pool noodle racetrack and the start on the other end.
- Set up your pool noodle racetrack a stairs or a couch either outside or save it for a rainy day and set it up inside! Let your little one race their Hot Wheels cars down the track. Even you have a smaller pool noodle this will still work with cars. You can also try using marbles instead of cars!