UPDATED: 30+ fun and easy Chinese New Year crafts and activities for kids to celebrate the Lunar New Year and the year of the Rabbit 2023.
What is Chinese New Year?
Chinese New Year is the Chinese festival that celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese calendar. The festival is commonly referred to as the Spring Festival marking the end of winter and the beginning of the spring season.
Where is Chinese New Year Celebrated
Chinese New Year is one of the most important holidays in China. It is also celebrated worldwide in regions and countries, including Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines, as well as many in North America and Europe.
Lunar New Year Traditions
Chinese New Year is associated with several myths and customs. The festival was traditionally a time to honour ancestors. It is also traditional for every family to thoroughly clean their house, in order to sweep away any ill-fortune and to make way for incoming good luck. Another custom is the decoration of windows and doors with red paper-cuts, light firecrackers and giving money in red paper envelopes and eat dumplings.
When is the Lunar New Year in 2023?
The first day of Chinese New Year begins on the new moon that appears between 21 January and 20 February. In 2023, the first day of the Chinese New Year will be on Sunday, 22 January, which is the Year of the Rabbit.
Looking for more Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year crafts and activities? Check out these fun posts:
- Year of the Rabbit Crafts for Chinese New Year
- 15+ Chinese Dragon Crafts for Kids
- 10+ Chinese Lantern Crafts for Kids
- Free Chinese New Year Coloring Pages
Chinese New Year Crafts & Activities
- Lunar New Year Sensory Bin – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Cheese Chinese Lanterns – Danya Banya
- Simple Chinese New Year crafts: Paper plate dragon – Kiddy Charts
- Lucky Chinese Red Envelopes 红包 – Free Printable in Simplified and Traditional Chinese! – Chalk Academy
- Simple Jar Chinese Paper Lantern Craft – Blissful Domestication
- Hong Bao (Red Envelopes) for Chinese New Year – Danya Banya
- Moveable Chinese Dragon Paper Plate Craft – Crafts on the Sea
- Chinese Lantern Sun Catchers – The Gingerbread House
- Egg Carton Dragon Puppet – Messy Little Monsters
- Waving Chinese Lucky Cate Craft – Kids Craft Room
- New Year’s Eve Traditions – Red Envelopes (China) – Red Ted Art
- Chinese New Year sensory bin – Gift of Curiosity
- How to make Chinese lanterns – Nuture Store
- Easy Paper Dragon puppet craft for Chinese New Year – Crafts by Ria
- Chinese New Year Craft: Dragon Puppet & Free Printable – Red Ted Art
- How to Make a Chinese Rattle Drum – Blissful Domestication
- Chinese New Year Banners – Simplified and Traditional Chinese – Chalk Academy
- Paper Plate Dragon – Messy Little Monsters
- Chinese New Year drum craft for kids – Gift of Curiosity
- Awesome Cupcake Liner Dragon Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- How to Make an Egg Carton Dragon Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- Easy Paper Plate Dragon Twirler (Free Printable) – Red Ted Art
23. Double Fish Chinese New Year Decoration – Mama Baby Mandarin
24. Red Envelope Dragon Craft – Mama Baby Mandarin
25. Dragon Puppet Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
Year of the Rabbit Crafts and Activities
- Rabbit Crafts for Lunar New Year or Chinese New Year
- Paper Plate Rabbit Pouch Craft for Kids
- Year of the Rabbit Photo Frame – Mama Baby Mandarin
- Cute Rabbit Sun Catcher Craft
- EASY RABBIT HEADBAND FOR Lunar New Year– Red Ted Art
- Sensory Rice Rabbit Craft
- Sponge Painted Rabbit Craft with free printable
- YEAR OF THE RABBIT CRAFT – PAPER PUPPET – Red Ted Art
- Fluffy Puffy Paint Rabbit Craft for Kids
- Super Fun Fizzy Paint Rabbit Craft
- POP UP RABBIT CARD CRAFT FOR Lunar New Year – Red Ted Art