UPDATED: 30+ fun and easy Chinese New Year crafts and activities for kids to celebrate the Lunar New Year and the year of the Tiger 2022.
What is Chinese New Year?
Chinese New Year is the Chinese festival that celebrates the beginning of a new year on the traditional Chinese calendar. The festival is commonly referred to as the Spring Festival marking the end of winter and the beginning of the spring season.
Where is Chinese New Year Celebrated
Chinese New Year is one of the most important holidays in China. It is also celebrated worldwide in regions and countries, including Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines, as well as many in North America and Europe.
Lunar New Year Traditions
Chinese New Year is associated with several myths and customs. The festival was traditionally a time to honour ancestors. It is also traditional for every family to thoroughly clean their house, in order to sweep away any ill-fortune and to make way for incoming good luck. Another custom is the decoration of windows and doors with red paper-cuts, light firecrackers and giving money in red paper envelopes and eat dumplings.
When is the Lunar New Year in 2022?
The first day of Chinese New Year begins on the new moon that appears between 21 January and 20 February. In 2022, the first day of the Chinese New Year will be on Tuesday , 1 February, which is the Year of the Tiger.
Chinese New Year Crafts & Activities
- Lunar New Year Sensory Bin – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Cheese Chinese Lanterns – Danya Banya
- Simple Chinese New Year crafts: Paper plate dragon – Kiddy Charts
- Lucky Chinese Red Envelopes 红包 – Free Printable in Simplified and Traditional Chinese! – Chalk Academy
- Simple Jar Chinese Paper Lantern Craft – Blissful Domestication
- Hong Bao (Red Envelopes) for Chinese New Year – Danya Banya
- Moveable Chinese Dragon Paper Plate Craft – Crafts on the Sea
- Chinese Lantern Sun Catchers – The Gingerbread House
- Egg Carton Dragon Puppet – Messy Little Monsters
- Waving Chinese Lucky Cate Craft – Kids Craft Room
- New Year’s Eve Traditions – Red Envelopes (China) – Red Ted Art
- Chinese New Year sensory bin – Gift of Curiosity
- How to make Chinese lanterns – Nuture Store
- Easy Paper Dragon puppet craft for Chinese New Year – Crafts by Ria
- Chinese New Year Craft: Dragon Puppet & Free Printable – Red Ted Art
- How to Make a Chinese Rattle Drum – Blissful Domestication
- Chinese New Year Banners – Simplified and Traditional Chinese – Chalk Academy
- Paper Plate Dragon – Messy Little Monsters
- Chinese New Year drum craft for kids – Gift of Curiosity
- Awesome Cupcake Liner Dragon Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- How to Make an Egg Carton Dragon Craft – I Heart Crafty Things
- Easy Paper Plate Dragon Twirler (Free Printable) – Red Ted Art
Year of the Tiger Crafts and Activities
- Paper Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Jumping Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Paper Bag Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Tiger Sensory Bin – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Paper Plate Tiger Pouch – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Cardboard Tube Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Tiger Sensory Bag – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Cotton Ball Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime
- Washi Tape Tiger Craft – Happy Toddler Playtime