AHEAD: This Giant Cardboard Bird Craft is a fun and easy art activity for kids! Create a giant colourful bird out of cardboard!
Go Big or Go Home
Sometimes all you need to make a craft really fun is to make it really big! I love sizing up crafts and paining activities with my kids. We have done giant Earth painting for Earth Day; giant Easter eggs for Easter; giant turkey for Thanksgiving; giant Gingerbread People for Christmas, giant Nail Salon. Now we are making a giant bird for spring!
ADULT SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED!
This activity requires scissors for cutting cardboard or box cutters and a hot glue gun. These should only be handles by an adult.
The Best Sensory Bin and STEAM Books
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Also I wrote a new book! Its called Super STEAM Activity Book! My new book comes out Summer 2021. Stay tuned for more information!
How to Make A Giant Cardboard Bird
- Grab your cardboard box. on the outside of the box draw the outline of the body parts of the bird: body, head, beak, two wings, two legs, feet and hair (see picture below for reference).
- Use scissors or box cutter to cut of the different shapes.
- Paint your bird body parts using paint.
- Once the parts of the bird are dry, heat up your hot glue gun. Remember an adult should be doing this part of the activity.
- Use the glue gun to put your bird together.
- Add details such as feathers on the tail or head.
- Attach a googley eye to the head.
- Enjoy your bird or display it!
NOTE: If the head of your bird is too heavy for the body, use a small piece of cardboard on the back to secure it.
My happy kids are 6.5 years and 3 years old.
Looking for more Fun Spring Crafts & Activities and more? Check out these fun ideas:
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Cardboard box
- Tempera Paint for Kidst and brushes
- Scissors or box cutters
- Pencil or sharpie
- Hot Glue Gun
- Googley eyes