Paper Plate Rice Heart Sun Catchers
Paper Plate Textured Heart Sun Catchers is a fun contact paper craft for toddlers and preschoolers. The results are an unique sun catcher craft!
RELATED POST… VALENTINE’S DAY ACTIVITIES USING CONTACT PAPER
I loved these sequin paper plate hearts sun catcher by Kids Craft Room so much but I didn’t have any sequins so I decided to see what coloured rice would look like instead and the results were wonderful!
Instructions Paper Plate Rice Heart Sun Catchers
- Fold your paper plate in half and cut out a heart shape.
- Cut out a square large from the contact paper. The square should be large enough to cover the entire heart on the paper plate.
- Peel the back off the contact paper and stick it the the underside of the paper plate with the sticky side facing up.
- Have your toddler pour coloured rice on the sticky paper. Make sure that they pour enough to cover all the sticky paper.
- Shake off the remaining rice.
- Use a hole punch to make a hole at the top of the paper plate.
- Tie a piece of ribbon through the hole and hang up your paper plate rice heart sun catcher!
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Paper Plate
- Contact Paper
- Coloured Rice (see instructions below)
- Single Hole Punch
How to Make Coloured Rice
What You’ll Need
- 1 Cup of White Rice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- Several Drops of Gel Food Coloring
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets or Tupperware containers
How to Make
- Combine the rice, white vinegar and food coloring in a Ziploc bag.
- Seal it carefully and mix the contents throughly.
- Repeat for each color.
- Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or line a Tupperware container.
- Spread the colored rice out on the parchment paper and allow it to dry overnight.
If you don’t have gel food coloring, regular food coloring will work fine. If you want your rice to be more vibrant add more than just a few drops of food coloring and a small amount of white vinegar. Although the instructions calls for 1 cup of rice I usually make between 6-7 cups of rice for a sensory bin.
N and A are twins. They are 24 months old.
One thought on “Textured Heart Sun Catchers”
Pingback: Amazing Valentine's Day Crafts for Toddlers - HAPPY TODDLER PLAYTIME