INSIDE: Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint is a fun way to paint this summer with your toddler or preschooler. Made with only two ingredients, sidewalk chalk is a great way to get creative when its hot out!
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are a fun and easy way to keep your child engaged while at the same time capitalizing on the benefits of sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop our ready made sensory play kits here.
Looking for a fun activity book for your preschooler this summer? Check out my new book Super STEAM Activity Book: Launch Learning with Fun Mazes, Dot-to-Dots, Search-the-Page Puzzles, and More! ! Click here to learn more or order it now!
How to Make Sidewalk Chalk Paint
I am a huge fan of sidewalk chalk especially during the summer. I usually give it as gifts to my kids for Easter and we use it all spring and summer. So I was super excited to try making homemade sidewalk chalk paint, which by the way is not made with sidewalk chalk!
To make sidewalk chalk paint:
- Mix 1 cup of corn starch with 1 cup of baking soda.
- Add 2/3 cup to 1 cup of water slowly to the mixture until you have reached the desired paint consistency.
- Add a single (or less) drop of food colouring. I would avoid using gel food colouring as it may stain your outdoor surface.
- Mix the food colouring throughly until you have reached the desired colour.
Test the paint on your outdoor surface before using with your child to ensure that it won’t stain. You should be able to remove the sidewalk chalk paint easily with your hose.
How They Play
This paint was honestly better than I thought! The colour was amazing and it looks just look how you would image chalk paint would. Right before you let your little ones paint, make sure to give the paint a little stir to ensure that the paint is mixed well.
My guys loved this activity but unexpectedly they decided that they wanted to paint themselves with the chalk paint. So I changed them into their bathing suits and lettjem paint their arms, legs and feet.
After they finished I hosed them off. The paint stained their skin slightly but came off in the bath that night. Since this paint is made with food colouring it can stain clothing.
The sidewalk chalk washed off easily with my hose! This was definitely a fun way to keep my 3 year olds busy this summer!
This activity is good for kids 2.5 years and up. My kids are 3, 3, and 6 year old.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Baking soda
- Corn starch
- Muffin tin
- Paint brushes
- Food colouring
Looking for more summer and outdoor activity ideas? Check out of these other round-ups for more ways to keep your toddler or preschooler busy this summer:
- 25+ Outdoor Water Activities to Keep Kids Cool This Summer
- 40+ Awesome Outdoor Learning Activities for Kids
- 30+ Easy Outdoor Art Projects for Kids
- 60+ Awesome Outdoor Activities for Kids
- 45+ Awesome Water Sensory Bins for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- 40+ Water Table Activities for Toddlers
- 21+ Spray Bottle Activities for Toddler
- 20 Amazing Backyard Obstacle Courses
- 21+ Amazing Summer Sensory Bins
- 25+ Adorable Summer Crafts for Toddlers
- 40+ Ice Sensory Play
- 12 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Toddlers + Kids