INSIDE: Sponge Painted Fish: Outdoor Summer Art is an easy painting activity for toddlers and preschoolers (and even older kids will get a kick out this). Paint a giant rainbow fish using sponges! This makes a great summer art activity!
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are a fun and easy way to keep your child engaged while at the same time capitalizing on the benefits of sensory play to nurture their mind!
Shop our ready made sensory play kits here.
Looking for a fun activity book for your preschooler this summer? Check out my new book Super STEAM Activity Book: Launch Learning with Fun Mazes, Dot-to-Dots, Search-the-Page Puzzles, and More! ! Click here to learn more or order it now!
How to Set Up a Sponge Painted Fish: Outdoor Summer Art
- Grab a large roll of white paper, cut out a large piece and draw the outline of fish. Add as much detail as desired.
- Use brown packing tape to secure the picture on to a fence or hard flat surface.
NOTE: although washable kids paint comes out of most clothing it may not come off your wooden fence. Test before hand or place a large plastic sheet under your fish to help prevent the paint from getting on to your fence. When doing these types of activities with my kids, I keep close eye on them to make sure they don’t start painting on the fence and I make sure to rinse off any paint that does get on the fence by accident right away.
- Grab 6 paper plates, pour out some washable kids paint in the various colours of the rainbow on to each plate.
- Add a sponge to each plate.
- Invite your toddler or preschooler to dip the sponges into the make print the paint on the fish to decorate it like a rainbow.
How they Painted
This was a real hit right away. My camera froze up when they first started so I wasn’t able to capture the beginning of the creation of the rainbow fish. At first my 3 year olds wanted to use the sponges like sponges and wash the paint on by moving the sponge side to side. I showed them how to dab the sponge instead to create a beautiful textured print. After the fish was complete they started mixing colouring. Then they started using their hands. At this point, I decided to pull out another sheet of paper for them to free paint.
I just love painting outside and this one was a real winner!
Supplies for Sponge Painted Fish: Outdoor Summer Art
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Large Sheet of Paper
- Black Sharpie
- Washable Kids Paint
- Paper Plates
- Brown packing Tape
This activity is good for kids 2 years and up. My kids are 3, 3, and 6 year old.
Looking for more summer and outdoor activity ideas? Check out of these other round-ups for more ways to keep your toddler or preschooler busy this summer:
- 25+ Outdoor Water Activities to Keep Kids Cool This Summer
- 40+ Awesome Outdoor Learning Activities for Kids
- 30+ Easy Outdoor Art Projects for Kids
- 60+ Awesome Outdoor Activities for Kids
- 45+ Awesome Water Sensory Bins for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- 40+ Water Table Activities for Toddlers
- 21+ Spray Bottle Activities for Toddler
- 20 Amazing Backyard Obstacle Courses
- 21+ Amazing Summer Sensory Bins
- 25+ Adorable Summer Crafts for Toddlers
- 40+ Ice Sensory Play
- 12 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Toddlers + Kids