Corn kernels are such an amazing fillers for sensory bins. And did you know that you can dye them!! In this post I am going to show you how you can easily dye corn kernels in bright vibrant colours using paint! You can use them for fun fall crafts, use them in learning activities that require your little one to scopp and pour or in sensory play ideas.
IT’S SO SIMPLE!
Have you ever dyed corn kernels for sensory or art play?
How to Dye Corn Kernels for Sensory Play
- Gather your supplies.
- Add 1 cup of corn kernels to a ziplock bag.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of acrylic paint the desired colour. I made green, blue, and red coloured corn. I also made orange but the colour looked more yellow than orange. Bright colours like purple and pink would be nice as well.
- Seal the bag tightly and shake and massage the paint into the kernels until its completely evenly distributed. Add more paint if the colour isnt as vibrant as desired.
- Line a tray with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Open the bag and spread the kernels out on the tray. Try to spread them out as thinly as possible so that it takes less time to dry.
- Set it aside to dry. It will take at least 2-3 hours to fully dry. But depending on how much paint you use it may take longer. Ensure that the kernels are fully dry before letting your child play with them to prevent paint transfer.
- Once the kernels are fully dry, use your fingers to separate the kernels that may have stuck together.
- Your corn kernels are ready to use in crafts, learning activities or sensory play! Chek out some ideas below!
Ways to Use Dye Corn Kernels
- You can use them in fall themed crafts like leaves, trees, corn or even a turkey!
You can use the dyed corn kernels in learning activities that require scooping and pouring.
You can use your dyed corn kernels in sensory play.
How To Store Your Dyed Corn Kernels
Store your corn kernels in a clean and dry airtight containers such as a ziplock bag.
How Long Will Your Dyed Corn Last
When stored in a dry area in an airtight container your corn kernels can last months. Always check for mold or germination every time you pull them out to use and toss if you see any.
Age Suitability Dyed Corn Kernels
This activity is good for pre-k, kindergarten aged children 3 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium.
Difficulty to Create
Sensory play, Language development, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Popcorn kernels or dried corn kernels or popping corn (it is called different things but it is all the same thing dried corn kernels)
- Acrylic paint in various colours
- Ziplock bags
- Wax paper
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Book: Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Engage your child in hours of play with my colorful collection of over 60 sensory bin activities, recipes and play projects that aid with memory formation, language development, problem-solving skills and more. Perfect for toddlers from eighteen months to three years old and beyond, each bin makes use of materials you already have at home and helps reignite your kids’ interest in toys long forgotten.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
With setup instructions, details on how to guide your child through each activity, suggestions for what to talk about with your child as they play and other useful tips, Mandisa gives you all the information you need for creative sensory activities your kids are bound to love.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Book: Super STEAM Activity Book for Kids
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Book: Big Book of Riddles for Kids
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to finally share my new crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched July 1 at on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube!
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
The Best Sensory Play Kits for Kids
Play is at the core of learning during the early years and it can take many forms. One of the most important of these is sensory play because it engages all of a child’s senses (taste, touch, smell, sight and hearing) and has a enoumous positive impact on brain development.
Our Sensory Play Kits are some fun and easy ways to keep your child engaged while at the same time using sensory play to nurture their mind!