With the arrival of summer, you are probably on the lookout for easy, engaging and entertaining activities to keep your little one occupied and stimulated. Look no further! Today, we’re going to explore a classic science experiment that combines curiosity, creativity, and a touch of magic to create secret messages with invisible ink made with lemon juice. This exciting activity is sure to captivate young minds and provide endless hours of summertime fun.
WILL YOU TRY MAKING INVISIBLE INK WITH YOUR LITTLE ONE THIS SUMMER? Pin it for later!
How to Make Invisible Ink
- Squeeze lemon juice from a lemon into a small bowl. Don’t worry if the seeds pop in!
- Take a q-tip and use it to draw a picture or write a message on a piece of white paper. The more lemon juice the dark the message will appear.
- Set the paper aside to dry for at least 15-20 minutes depending on how much juice you used.
- Time to reveal your message or your picture using a safe heat source. Adult participation is required for this part. You can either use a light bulb, and iron turned to medium and ironing board or oven mitts and your stove turned to medium. It will take 10 to 30 seconds to uncover your message!
- Let your paper cool down before touching it.
What else to try
- Compare other citrus fruits like oranges or grapefruits, or even onion juice.
- Try diluting the lemon juice with a small amount of water to make the ink even more invisible on the paper!
Lemon juice is acidic but also has sugars in it. When you write on the paper the acid reacts with the paper fibers to make more sugars. Then when you heat up those sugars, they release carbon which oxidizes when it comes in contact with the oxygen in the air and turns brown.
Looking for more summer activity ideas? Check out of these other round-ups for more ways to stay busy this summer:
- 25+ Outdoor Water Activities to Keep Kids Cool This Summer
- 40+ Awesome Outdoor Learning Activities for Kids
- 30+ Easy Outdoor Art Projects for Kids
- 60+ Awesome Outdoor Activities for Kids
- 45+ Awesome Water Sensory Bins for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- 40+ Water Table Activities for Toddlers
- 21+ Spray Bottle Activities for Toddler
- 20 Amazing Backyard Obstacle Courses
- 21+ Amazing Summer Sensory Bins
- 40+ Ice Sensory Play
- 12 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Toddlers + Kids
Our DIY Summer Camp Package has everything you need to keep your kids off screens, keep them engaged and to create magical memories right in your own home. With 10+ themes, 130+ engaging activities, and valuable tips for a memorable summer, this package is your passport to a season of fun and learning. Let’s dive into the details and discover why our camp package is the must-have resource for your best summer!
- 10+ Weeks of Easy Themed Summer Camp Ideas for Kids 2-6!
- 130+ creative summer activities, crafts, science experiments, sensory play activities and recipes and more.
- Article: “10 Practical Tips for a Memorable Summer with Kids.”
- Article: “Sibling Harmony: 10 Practical Tips for Keeping the Peace and Managing Sibling Conflict”
- Full supply list for each week.
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to share my crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched in July 2022 on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube! Season 2 airs in the summer of 2023! We were also nominated in 2023 for Best Live Action Preschool Series by the Youth Media Alliance Awards of Excellence.
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.