INSIDE: Washi Tape Butterfly craft is a fun and creative activity for toddlers and preschoolers. It uses two of my favourite crafting supplies – washi tape and watercolours!
Washi Tape and Watercolours
I adore using washi tape and watercolours together in crafts with my kids. They always make such beautiful art no matter the age of the artist. Thus are great for using with toddlers and preschoolers. Washi tape is colorful and fun and comes off furniture easily. Watercolours are not as messy as regular paint but still provide vibrant colour. When you combine the two the results are always spectacular .
For this craft we will be making a butterfly.
ADULT SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED!
This activity requires a hot glue gun. This should only be handled by an adult.
The Best Sensory Bin and STEAM Books
Also I wrote a new book! Its called Super STEAM Activity Book! My new book comes out Summer 2021. Stay tuned for more information!
How to Make Washi Tape Butterfly Craft
Watch how to make the Washi Tape Butterfly in the video above.
- Cut short pieces of colourful washi tape and stick them to a table. Let help your toddler or preschooler place the washi tape on their white paper plate.
- Invite your toddler or preschooler to cover their white paper plate with the washi tape.
- Use watercolour paints and brushes to fill in all the white spaces.
- While the paper plate dries, grab a craft stick colourful washi tape and stick them to a table again. Invite your child wrap them around the craft stick until it is covered.
- Once the plate is dry fold it in half and cut the plate in half. Then cut out triangles in the center of the straight edge of the plate to create the butterfly wings.
- Take a pipe cleaner and twist it around the top of the craft stick to create antennas.
- Use a hot glue gun to glue the paper plate wings to either side of the craft stick. Remember an adult should be doing this part of the activity.
My happy kids are 6.5 years and 3 years old.
Looking for more Fun Spring Crafts & Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Colourful Washi tape
- White paper plate
- Watercolor Paint Set and brush
- Wooden Craft Sticks
- Pipe Cleaner
- Hot Glue Gun