Check out this fun and festive Christmas chickpea sensory bin! An easy and colorful sensory play idea for toddlers!
Looking for more Fun Christmas Crafts & Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
- 100+ of the Best Christmas Activities & Crafts for Kids
- DIY Handmade Christmas Cards
- 25+ Easy Christmas Sensory Bins
- Easy DIY Advent Calendars
- 25+ Christmas Tree Crafts & Activities
- 24 Christmas Crafts You Can Do Right Now
- 21 Christmas Sticky Walls
- 25 Santa Crafts & Activities for Kids
- 25+ Christmas STEAM Activities
- 50+ Hanukkah Crafts and Activities
- 30+ Kwanzaa Crafts and Activities
How To Make A Christmas Chickpea Sensory Bin
How to Colour Chickpeas
- Use acrylic paint to dye your chickpeas. But if you don’t have acrylic paint you can use tempera paint or even food colouring however, if you use either it may transfer to your child’s hands during play. U
- Grab a bag of chickpeas and divide it into 3 portions and separate them into large ziplock bag.
- Add couple of squirts of red and green and white paint, into each bag respectively. Seal the bag and shake and massage until evenly disturbed.
- Open the bag and check the colour has been distributed evenly and add more paint as necessary.
- Once your chickpeas have the desired colour, open the bag and spread our your chickpeas on a sheet of parchment paper or plastic bag to dry. Let the chickpeas air dry for about 1 hour (it may take more time).
- Once they are dry they are ready to play with!
Set up the ChickPea Christmas Sensory Bin
- Grab your sensory bin and add your colure chickpeas. You can add each colour separately and invite your child to mix them up.
- Add wooden bowls in various sizes and scoopers and spoons.
- Add a bottle and decorate it with dot stickers or washi tape.
- Add some small white foam balls and green and red party necklaces.
- Add some winter tree decorations and pinecones, small and big.
- Invite your little one to play!
How to Store your Chickpeas
Store your chickpeas in a large ziplock bag. They will last multiple years. Check them before each use for mold. Keep them in a dry area and they will last for years.
This activity is good for kindergarten aged children 4 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is low.
Difficulty to Create
Gross motor skills, language development, number recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Sensory Bin or Sensory Table
- Green, Red and White tempera paint
- Small foam balls
- green and red party necklaces
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.