Create this adorable Love Bot, cardboard robot craft for Valentine’s Day! Its a fun way to get crafty this February with your toddler, preschooler or school age child!
How to MakeA Cardboard Robot Craft for Valentine’s Day
Here’s what you need to prepare before hand so your toddler or preschooler or kindergartner can make this craft largely on their own. Toddlers and preschoolers will need assistance.
- Cut a gray piece of construction paper (or you can use any Valentines’ colour such as red, pink or purple) large enough to wrap around the toilet paper roll.
- From yellow, red, purple or pink construction paper cut out two circles for the eyes, a rectangle for the mouth, a heart, and various other shapes for the other parts of the robot including a half circle, oval, diamond. Cut these is different colours.
- Cut out 4 strips of paper about 1 inch thick in the same gray colour or you can choose to do it pink or purple!
- Set out double sided tape, a glue stick and a black pen for drawing the details.
- Your craft is ready for your child to start!
Making a Cardboard Robot Craft for Valentine’s Day
- Grab your toilet paper roll and cut off a piece of double sided tape for them. Have them stick it on the tube and peel off the paper backing (little ones will need help with this). Have them wrap it around the tube. Use another piece of double sided tape to secure it.
- Invite them to use the black pen to decorate the items for the robot. Ask them what types of dials and switches will their robots have. What can their robot do? Don’t forget to decorate the mouth and eyes.
- Once they are done decorating they can glue the pieces on their robot.
- For the arms, start by glueing the two strips together in a ‘L’ shape. Then fold each strip back on the other strip until you create an according arm. Little ones will need assistance with this task. Model a few for them and then let them try. Secure the arms to the sides of the cardboard tube with double sided tape.
- Enjoy your Love Bot (said in a robot voice)!
This activity is good for toddlers aged children 2.5 years old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is low.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, shape recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
Supplies Cardboard Robot Craft
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Cardboard tube
- Grey, pink, purple, red construction paper
- Double side tape
- Black pen
- Glue stick
Toddler and Preschooler Curriculums, Books & TV Show!
Play2Learn Toddler & Preschool Programs for Curious Toddlers
There is no limit to your toddler’s energy and curiosity. That energy and curiosity although a joy can be challenging at times. Their interest in just about everything around them is what makes them great learners. One and two year olds can soak up so much just from their senses!
But as a teacher or parent that thirst for learning can be exhausting. That is why I created this toddler and preschooler program. To help you get the most out of this time with your curious toddler without having to come up with creative ways to play and interact with them.
Play2Learn for Toddlers includes 20 Units for toddlers. Each 2-week toddler unit has 20 super easy to set up and engaging activities for toddlers 18 months to 3 years.
Play2Learn Preschool which includes 20 Units for preschoolers. Each 2-week preschoolers unit has 20 unique and easy to set up and engaging activities for preschoolers 3 years to 5 years. That’s over 800 learning activities for your toddler and preschooler at your fingertips! So many ideas you and your child will never be bored again!
These toddler and preschool lesson plans and activities will definitely keep you and your toddler and preschooler busy playing and learning!
Click here for more information: Play2Learn
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.