Use a sponge to make magical looking trees this Christmas in the fun and easy sponge painted Christmas Tree craft for kids! Its a fun way to craft with your toddler.
Sponged Painted Christmas Tree
This is a great art project on its own for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartner aged kids. But you can also use this craft to make Christmas card for loved ones or even wrapping paper. For the Christmas card, fold the card stock in half first and create the craft on one side and them write message on the inside.
For wrapping paper prepare a large sheet of butcher paper on a table and invite your little not make sone painted Christmas tree all over.
How to Make a Sponge Painted Christmas Tree
- Grab a sting sponge and use a ruler and marker to draw a triangle on the sponge.
- Cut it out with a pair of scissors.
- You will have three triangles that you can use to paint different shaped Christmas trees!
Time to Paint
- Grab a sheet of white card stock.
- On a paper plate pour out some green paint.
- Dip the first sponge into the paint and them onto the card stock.
- Continue using the same sponge or the different shaped triangles
Turn to Trees into Christmas Trees
- Pour out some paint in different colours scubas red, yellow, blue, purple.
- Take a q-tip and dip it into the paint and them paint Christmas lights all over the trees.
- Take a sheet of sparkly gold foam paper, draw stars on the back and cut them out.
- Glue the stars to the tops of the Christmas trees.
- Cut a small square from a second sponge. Pour out some brain paint and dip the sponge into the brown paint. Print it under each tree for the trunk.
- Optional: add green glitter to the the tree,
- Optional: Use glitter glue to make snowflakes all around the Christmas tree.
Looking for more Fun Christmas Crafts & Activities? Check out these fun ideas:
This activity is good for toddlers, and preschoolers, kindergarten aged children 18 months old and up. My kids are 4.5, 4.5 and 8 years old.
The mess level for this activity is medium. Use a tray to keep the paint and glitter from getting everywhere.
Difficulty to Create
Language development, number recognition, color recognition, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, imaginative play, creativity.
(This post and list contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I may earn a commission. Please visit my disclosure policy for more information.)
- Card stock
- Washable paint (red, black, white or green)
- Sparkly foam sheet or star Glue
- Optional: Green glitter
- Optional:Glitter glue
Books, TV Show & Play Kits!
Book: Exciting Sensory Bins for Curious Kids
Did you know I wrote a book of sensory bins? Click here for more information Exciting Sensory Bin for Curious Kids. Or grab your copy at Amazon.
Boring afternoons are made exciting with awesome animal-based bins, like Salty Shark Bay or Yarn Farm. Pretend play bins like Birthday Cake Sensory Play or Bubble Tea Party encourage creativity and imagination. And your kids will have so much fun they won’t even know they’re getting smarter with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) activities like Sink or Float Soup, Magnetic Letter Hunt or Ice Cream Scoop and Count.
Designed for toddlers 18 months and up.
Book: Super STEAM Activity Book for Kids
Learning all about science, technology, engineering, art, and math sets kids up for scholastic success―and it can be so much fun! Watch kids enjoy building STEAM skills as they color friendly fish, help water find its way to tree roots, solve math problems with mazes, and more.
Find out more and grab your copy here.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.
Book: Big Book of Riddles for Kids
Riddle me this: What’s an exciting way to practice critical thinking while having a blast? The Big Riddle Book for Kids, of course! From hilarious puns to tough brain teasers, kids can build problem-solving skills with hundreds of riddles that show them how to think outside the box.
- 350 riddles for kids—Have hours of fun with riddles, puns and jokes, and math and logic puzzles that’ll get their wheels turning!
- Level up their skills—Riddles get trickier as kids progress through the book, challenging them as they get better at solving puzzles!
- Double-check their work—Kids can check their answers in the back of the book with a handy answer key.
Help children expand their minds while having fun with this puzzle book for kids!
Designed for kids ages 6 years old and up.
TV Show: Curious Crafting
I’m so excited to finally share my new crafting TV show Curious Crafting which launched July 1 at on TVOkids and TVOkids YouTube!
Set in the ultimate crafting space, Curious Crafting is a short form pre-school age series about the joy of making crafts. I lead a rotating cast of adorable little preschoolers (including my own) making magic out of common household objects.
In each episode we transform recycled items into magical crafts like a milk carton school bus, paper bag puppet or cotton pad turtle. The crafters learn and laugh their way through each activity while demonstrating what their young imaginations can create.
Curious Crafting shares the adventure and joy of making art with takeaway lessons for creating crafts at home.
This show designed for toddlers and preschoolers 2.5 years old and up.
Designed for preschoolers 3 years old and up.